Family Banner

Family Banner
Once upon a time...

Saturday, 31 March 2012

Checking out the bed

Following my last post in which I asked for suggestions to sorting out the bed temperature mismatch, I got a response from T3P3 who suggested I check the room temperature resistance of the thermistor including the connectors.  I did this and got a read of more than 100K (around 150K), but what's the definition of room temperature?  (My mendel lives in the shed!!).  I did however try one of the other EPCOS thermistors I had from Farnell (when I was planning on making my own hot end) and go the same reading.  This makes me think the issue is something else, not the thermistor.

For the interim while mulling this over, I am tweaking my slicing (Slic3r) settings to accommodate the (false) reading and continuing printing.  I need to print some end-stop holders, so am opting the following two variations:

My first attempt to print two of 13482 met with catastrophic failure for the first time.


I'm trying these again, with good progress at the moment....

The prints completed this time, but the quality is shocking, even though the parts are usable.  I wonder how I managed to print such a nice whistle so easily the other day.


I'm now messing around with trying to get the settings right to print out the Y-end stop.  As part of this exercise, I thought I would check the filament feed.  I recall nophead mentioning that he has to tighten the extruder idler up that the springs are almost totally compressed.  I couldn't fit springs as the bolts I have are too short. I must have just been lucky!!  Nophead also mentions that on his Mendel90 extruder he sticks with the original Wade's design instead of the "accessible" design as he likes to leave the tension springs alone once he has managed to configure it.

I decided to drill out a recess in the idler bracket so that the cap screw bolt heads could recess, allowing me to add springs.  I did this and will now experiment further.As for not removing the idler, I can't see how that will ever work on my extruder as the hobbed bolt pushes the filament outwards to it won't naturally drop into the lower 3mm hole (which in my case is the PTFE tube which is part of my ParCan hotend).


The changes I made seemed to help somewhat, but the Y-end stop still came out unusable.  I decided to refine the design and then attempt to print that.  The result is on Thingverse.

Lazy Susan
I nicked my wife's cake decorating Lazy Susan to rest the coil of filament on.  This has worked well, so I decided to make something similar, box it in and tidy up my workbench.  I had some conveniently sized 9mm ply off cuts and an old bicycle wheel hub, so set to with that.  This has resulting in a boxed in Lazy Susan filament  holder, but I still need to try it out to see if it will be a success.  The concept is similar to the TechZone Horizontal Filament Spool, but implement with stuff I had lying around and attempting to not take too long in doing so.  I haven't rewound the filament, to this may well come back and haunt me later.


Viewing STLs
I was wanting to check the dimensions of some of the items in the STLs I had downloaded to print.  I use Google Sketchup for editing/creating objects, and although I have found an STL importer for that, I find that it imports the dimensions incorrectly.  This might be something to do with the settings I am using for Sketchup.  Anyway, I decided to search the internet for an STL viewer and found this on SourceForge.  It works pretty well on the files I've tried so far and is useful for checking dimensions of STLs.



1 comment:

  1. An alternative STL viewer is eDrawings from SolidWorks. http://www.edrawingsviewer.com

    ReplyDelete