Once upon a time...

Once upon a time...
Christmas 2016

Friday, 24 April 2020

Following the Wiki calibration page

NOTE: I'm catching up on Blogger and decided to post these draft posts that I've had partially written. I'm not completing them at this point and probably won't revisit them, but as a big part of the reason for blogging is to remind myself of what I was thinking/doing, they're still valid in this sense. This draft was dated April 2012. 

As the title says, I am following the wiki's calibration page.

Bed levelling
I mentioned this in my last post.  The bed is now perfectly level thanks to the conversion to a 3-bolt structure instead of 4.  I did however discover on printing the calibration object (bedleveling.stl) that the one corner was sitting high.  Closer inspection revealed that I must have knocked the Dibond bed plate in the past as the corresponding corner has a small dent.  I managed to salvage the situation by adding some washers to the spacers I used to mount the PCB heated bed.  In other words the PCB is now at an angle to the Dibond, but square to the x-axis (which is what counts).

While we're on this topic, the bed specific page on the wiki suggests the use of thumbscrews for the bed.  I like the idea, but will be designing my own as my bed bolts (and z-axis end stop adjuster) use M4 bolts.  The thread pitch on these is 0.7mm.  i.e. each full revolution of the bolt results in an adjustment of 0.7mm.  So, instead of having a thumbscrew with 6 "bumps", why not make one with 7.  That way it is easy to gauge by eye if you are adjusting by 0.1mm (or even 0.05mm if you move it halfway).  Think about it!! Pure genius!!

Sidetrack!!!
Ooh Boy!! just when you think everything is going swimmingly!!!  Have a look at this!!

Layer Height


No comments:

Post a comment