Once upon a time...

Once upon a time...
Christmas 2016

Sunday 24 May 2009

Shed load of Storage

For those of you who have been following the build of the Camper and wondering what happened to me, here's the explanation.

Lorraine was out of town most of this last week and this combined with Kyle (our 7-year old) being ill meant that I haven't been outside tinkering with the camper in the evenings. Building was meant to resume this weekend, but I got side tracked.

I have been keeping an eye out for a decent sized shed to replace the rotten 4x6 foot one that came with the house. On Wednesday I saw a Freecycle advert offering an 8x14 foot shed in Dorking (just down the road). I replied and couldn't believe my luck when I was offered the shed after confirming the I could and would collect that evening.

Well, the ambulance quickly became a shed transporter and Luca (a friend from work) and I went to collect it. He came by again on Friday evening to help remove it from the Ambulance and carry the bits into the garden.

These two pics show the shed flat packed lying all over the garden and the corner where the old shed is which is where the new one was destined to go.

Photobucket Photobucket

Installation meant digging out the roots of the tree that was cut down last week. This took me a good few hours.

Photobucket Photobucket

The old shed and water butt were emptied and moved. The pics below show the cleared space and the contents of the shed and many buckets of water.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Obviously the floor went in first. This was set on top of 'garden' sleepers in order to give a solid base. I also prefer the raised approach as this allows some air flow. (I had to repair one of the floor joists and replace the lowest board on the same side of the shed as these had rotted).

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

This was followed by the walls. You can just make out the metal brackets I made to re-join the apex to the rear wall. A similar repair was made to the front wall as we had to cut these off to fit the shed in the ambulance. The floors were also cut but you can see the joins as the tongue and groove boards have slotted back into place and I have put the sleepers under the joist joins.
As you can see, my 'helper' enjoyed the sunshine.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

So having spent most of Saturday & Sunday on this project, by the time I downed tools to go watch the Monaco Grand Prix, we had a shed with a roof and the water butt had found a new home. You can see that it has been painted with shed & fence paint. I think another coat or two may be needed as the walls were very dry. The final job will be to put some new roofing felt on as the old was cut when the roof was dismantled. I just didn't have the energy today.

Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment